Suruc, Turkey – On Monday, the Media Center of the People’s Protection Units (YPG) issued a statement announcing the “liberation” of three new areas in the southern part of the embattled city of Kobane (Ain al-Arab) in Aleppo province, in northern Syria.
The statement pointed out that the defending forces in the city “keep advancing”, especially in the southern front, where they have regained three new locations previously seized by the militants of the islamic State (IS/ISIS).
“We do not know the exact numbers of the radical group’s casualties in the recent clashes because of the continued operations securing the area carried out by our forces against IS terrorists,” the YPG Media Center said.
In the meantime, military sources told ARA News in Kobane that the Kurdish Peshmerga forces pounded different IS-held areas, using mortars and rocket launchers, hitting their targets and causing death of several militants.
In the framework of coordination between the Peshmerga and the YPG fighters, similar bombing by the heavy weapons hit the IS-held areas in the vicinity of al-Izaa hill west of Kobane, and the western top of Mishta Noor hill.
In a linked development, the leading member in the Peshmerga forces in Kobane, Azzedin Temmo, told ARA News on the phone that a unit of IS militants forcibly withdrew from the southern fighting front Sunday night.
Noteworthy, the IS group had promoted one of its members in Tabqa city of Raqqa province, northeastern Syria, to the rank of “Emir” (Prince) and called him “Abu Dujana” following the death of Abu Dujana al-Tunisi in Kobane’s battles.
Reporting by: Mohammed Ali Ahmed
Source: ARA News
For the latest news follow us on Twitter
Join our Weekly Newsletter