ALEPPO – Syrian regime’s army forces, supported with a Russian air cover, launched Friday a large-scale military operation in an attempt to retake the villages and towns held by opposition fighters in the southern countryside of Aleppo, northern Syria, military sources reported.
The regime mobilized its troops several days ago in the southern fighting front of Aleppo. The opposition had been able to repel the army’s advance so far, inflicting it with painful losses in soldiers and equipment.
Speaking to ARA News in Aleppo, Mustafa Suleiman, a spokesman for Aleppo’s rebels, said the pro-regime forces set up fierce attacks on several locations of the armed opposition in the southern countryside of Aleppo.
“The regime’s broad operation was preceded with heavy rocket bombardment on headquarters of the rebel fighters in the towns of Khalsa, al-Hamira and al-Iss,” he added, pointing out “Fierce clashes broke out between the Sultan Murad Brigade, Thuwar al-Sham and the Army of Conquest on the one hand, and the regime’s army and allied troops on the other hand.”
“Our fighters were able to destroy the regime’s missile base of Kornet at the hill of al-Iss,” Suleiman told ARA News.
The rebels have also destroyed a machine gun (23 caliber mm) along with a tank on the fighting front of al-Hamira with TOW missiles, according to the same source.
The source confirmed that the pro-regime helicopters dropped four barrel bombs on the towns of Khan Toman and Zirba in the southern countryside of Aleppo. No reports of civilians casualties.
Over the past two days, several villages and towns fell to the rebels in Aleppo’s southern suburbs, but the Syrian army forces are trying to cut off the opposition’s supply routes in a bid to regain control of the points lost in the region.
Reporting b: Taim Khalil
Source: ARA News
For the latest news follow us on Twitter
Join our Weekly Newsletter