ERBIL – Amid intensifying airstrikes by the U.S.-led coalition on the positions of jihadis in Iraq’s northwestern province of Nineveh, radical group of the Islamic State (ISIS) has transferred a number of it top militant commanders to Libya and Yemen.
Speaking to ARA News, head of Nineveh Media Network Raafat al-Zarari said that a number of ISIS top commanders have left the group’s headquarters in Nineveh province over the past two weeks.
“More than 20 leading members of the group have headed to ISIS strongholds in Yemen and Libya,” said al-Zarari, quoting an ISIS official in Mosul city.
“The group is trying to avoid the loss of more prominent leaders in the raids of the western coalition,” the source reported. ISIS is also trying to strengthen its positions in Yemen and Libya.”
This comes after the U.S.-led coalition intensified its raids on the group’s positions across the region, killing a number of ISIS military commanders and security officials. The coalition has been targeting meeting points of influential militants of ISIS in northern Iraq for weeks.
On Monday, at least nine leading members of the extremist group were killed in a U.S. airstrike, including Hajim Ahmed al-Aswad –ISIS leader in Baaj, northern Iraqi.
Earlier on Thursday, a similar airstrike hit the group’s headquarters in Mosul city, killing more than 30 ISIS militants.
Reporting by: Sarbaz Yousef
Source: ARA News
For the latest news follow us on Twitter
Join our Weekly Newsletter